Free People Of Color Brooks, Clark And Associated Families In Western NC

Introduction

I started my journey researching my maternal grandmother's line about 3 years ago. A lot of the family reunions, that we attended, were mainly on my grandfather's side.  Every once in a while, I would ask her about her father because she never really talked about him.  Her reply would always be that he was part Indian, had soft hair, a slim hooked nose, and was light-skinned.  Her father's name was William Mckinley Young. He was the son of Joseph "Joe" Deck and Laura L. Young. His grandparents were George Deck and Sarah Brooks. William died in 1963 and that was the last time my grandmother saw her father.  Over the years she has been disconnected from that side of the family. Her father's line was a mystery to me and others. I wanted to know more about them the older I became.  After many years of researching my other family lines, she finally asked me to research hers. I found her father's death certificate and it had his father listed as "Joe Deck". My grandmother never knew his last name. However, she was told as a child, that they came from the eastern part of NC. After a year from taking a break, I started back researching. I remember my grandmother, Ola Mae, telling me that her father was related to Brooks. Well, that made sense considering that he attended Brooks Chapel United Methodist Church, founded by my 4th great grandfather Jerry Brooks, and was buried there. Unfortunately, we still have not located his grave. 


New Discoveries

Last year, I found all types of records and photos thanks to my cousin the late Thomas Dudley.  I also found a DNA cousin who just so happens to have her tree posted on the site.  From there, I found our connection to Brooks. I came across an article about the Brooks lineage in the Shelby Star. It was then that I discovered that they were free people of color.  I was so excited when I found out and couldn't wait to tell my grandmother.  A genealogist and curator by the name of Pam Wilson, helped me build my tree on the gene site.  She was so intrigued, that she didn't mind.  


Our Roots

The Brooks line descends from an Irish indentured servant by the name of Elizabeth Brooks and a free man of color.  His name is unknown. Through that union, Sarah Brooks, my 5th x great-grandmother was born. Sarah was born in MD circa 1787. 

Family Lore-Brooks Lineage as Told By Lily Mae Brooks Whitworth

 

To go back a hundred years or more to get to the history of a family requires much time, study, and research.  That I cannot do, but I can recall some of the happenings of those early days – told to me by my father and mother (and) beginning with my grandparents who were Jerry and Sarah Brooks.  My grandfather was never a slave.  He was free-born. I think we know how that came about.  Grandmother Sarah was brought from Portugal when (she was) a child.  Many foreigners (sic) were coming to America at that time and were mingling with Indians, whites, and Negroes. My grandfather met Sarah and liked her. They were married and to that union were twelve children born (sic)eight boys and four girls.  Namely, (the boys were) Dan, Oliver, Nathan, Isaac, Joseph, Alfred, Elisha, and Elijah. The girls were Mary Ann, Elizabeth, Mamie and one I can’t recall her name.  

 

-     Lily Mae Brooks Whitworth

                           Source:     Lily Mae Brooks Whitworth(Excerpted From Speech Notes)

                           Occasion:   Brooks/Whitworth Family Reunion at Whitworth Home in Kings Mountain, NC 

                           Date:        August 5, 1978

                           Original:     Private Collection of Vaughn H. Whitworth

                           Copy:        Private Collection of Thomas R. Dudley

 Note: The sibling that Lily Mae Brooks couldn't recall turned out to be Sarah Brooks, my 3rd great -grandmother and the daughter of Jerry Brooks and Eliza Clark.

 

The Portuguese Clark Line

 The Clark line is said to originate in Portugal so I decided to search for some documentation. I even sought the help of a Portuguese descendant and a relative, who has also done extensive research and is an expert genealogist. As of yet, I haven't found anything connecting that line to Portugal other than a headstone on the Find A Gravesite.  Not to say that they weren't of Portuguese heritage though. My next step was to understand how and why the misnomer was used to describe certain groups of people, including my ancestors. From my research over the years, I have come across the Portuguese label being about the Melungeons, Lumbee, Saponi, and Tuscarora. Croatan had also been used to describe these different tribal groups and tri-racial isolates. The Portuguese claim was often used to hide any African and/or Native heritage. Some had an ambiguous phenotype and were just thrown certain labels by the local whites.  One line that settled in Polk County NC was that of William Daniel Oxendine. Jarred Chavis(Lumbee), is a descendant and contacted me after seeing a post about my line. 

 Steve Pony Hill writes, "First off let me say this, I have no doubt that before the Civil War that the community of mixed-blood persons residing in Sumter County was probably referred to as "Turks". That this label was meant to define a Turkish origin for the group, I do not believe. In other areas at the same time, people of the same mixed blood were called "Portuguese" and "Moors" yet their ancestors are not from Portugal or the coast of Africa. 'Turk' was used the same way 'Melungeon' was used in Tennessee...not to explain the origin of a people, just to give a label to a mixed-blood community to differentiate it from the whites and blacks around them." 


The Core Names And Origins

 I started looking into the different surnames in the family. Most of them tie back to some of the tribes and free people of color on the eastern and coastal part of NC.  I also studied the migration routes and Indian trails. My Clark line was from SC and is listed on the census in Marlboro, Kershaw, Columbia, and Gaffney, Cherokee County SC. Other lines and surnames that married into the family are found in the Saponi, Lumbee, Pee Dee, Waccamaw, Tuscarora, and Melungeon communities. The surnames are Ashe, Adams, Barnwell, Bray, Cunningham, Campbell, Coleman, Cooper, Davis, Dixon, Donahue, Epps, Gibbs, Goins, Harris, Howell, Hunt, Hunter, Jones, Lewis, Lockett, Lynch, Martin, Moore, Mullens, Powell, Reeves, Revels, Richardson, Roberts, Russell, Slade, Smith, Spencer, Stewart, Terry, Thomas, Thompson, Wade, Webber, Wilkins, Williams, Wright, and  Young.


Photos Of The Grave Site






















This gravestone stood out to me because of the symbol on it. The surname engraved on it is Clemments. The Clements name is said to be of Jewish origin. The Clements married into the Brooks line. My Clarks were mentioned as being Portuguese. They were more than likely Crypto-Jews. The Cooper name is also said to be of Sephardic Jewish origin. I decided to research this symbol engraved on the tombstone and it appears to be a menorah.  A menorah is used as a centerpiece by Jewish families during Hanukah. The Jewish families also served an important role during the underground railroad.  They would place candles in the window for the escaped slaves to let them know it was safe to hide there. Menorah candles were engraved on a woman's gravestone.





                    
                           Cousin Cliff Goins, Cynthia Kennedy, and I looking at headstones

   Cousin Cliff Goins, Cynthia Kennedy, and I in front of Brooks Chapel United Methodist Church         

                                       
  Here is some of the land they sold. Part of the land is now a Vineyard.


                            Professor Arwin Smallwood visiting our family's land and cemeteries


                                            Cousin Cliff Goins and Professor Arwin Smallwood

The White Eastern Pine tree on the church grounds. Arwin Smallwood explained to us that some of our ancestors brought twigs and seeds to plant to remind them of their ancestral home.

(Photo Courtesy of Cynthia Kennedy)


 

Migrations

I was curious to know why these family clusters migrated and how they knew where to go. No matter where they settled, they always traveled together with their relatives and gravitated to communities similar to theirs. They usually took Indian trails and paths to get to their destination. Some families would travel back and forth because they had other families that stayed behind.  Unlike the white settlers, these Natives knew the paths and where to travel for centuries. One line that stood out is the Roberts. The Roberts was in Lincoln County NC at one point, then eventually migrated to Indiana. They settled in a community known as The Lost Creek Settlement.  Several of the Revels family migrated there as well.  Below is the map that shows the Wilderness Road. As you can see, the road starts in Morganton NC. Some families used that road to migrate to Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.




Historical Articles And Reports On These Remnant Families 

The first black/Native US Senator, Hiram Rhodes Revels, lived near my ancestors. His brother was a blacksmith and owned a barbershop. He has been referred to as Croatan and Tuscarora.  

 


Below, Robert K. mentions Lumbee offshoots in his report. I was no longer able to find his report directly.  This is from Roberta Estes's site.


A Report on Research of Lumbee Origins by Robert K. Thomas – Part 18 – Appendix

"There are a few Lumbee “off-shoots” I would like to visit soon – one group near Grouse in Lincoln County, NC; another at Swannanoa near Asheville; and the last in Macon County near Franklin, NC."






            Jerry Brooks and Eliza Cooper/Clark Descendants
 

          Elizabeth "Bettie" Dorcas Clark 
 (Photo Courtesy of Thomas Dudley)        

(Photo Courtesy of Thomas Dudley) 


William Isaac Brooks, 1856-1932, and Family. L-R 1st Row: William Isaac (Ike), Harold Melrose (Uncle Mel), Katie Irene, Lily Mae (Mama Lily), Leola Amie. Standing in back Birdie Virginia (Aunt Birdie)

(Photo Courtesy of Thomas Dudley)




(Photo Courtesy of Thomas Dudley)


(Photo Courtesy of Thomas Dudley)


(Photo Courtesy of Thomas Dudley)



(Photo Courtesy of Thomas Dudley)






(Photo Courtesy of Thomas Dudley)



(Photo Courtesy of Thomas Dudley)



(Photo Courtesy of Thomas Dudley)


(Photo Courtesy of Thomas Dudley)



(Photo Courtesy of Thomas Dudley)


(Photo Courtesy of Craig Whitworth)

William Young's First Cousin

Dr. Edward Richard Dudley

William Mckinley Young. My great grandfather. (Photo Courtesy of Ola Mae Young Beatty)

Lily Mae Brooks Whitworth

Prince Ramseur, Gwendolyn Dudley &Carolyn Whitworth 

Cousin Stephanie Holding a Photo of Her Grandmother Mama Lily




Me And Cousin Kevin Dudley(Thomas R. Dudley's son)


Cousin Vernon Dudley Jr. with his son(Photo Courtesy of Vernon  Dudley Jr.)


Betty Jean Brooks McDowell(Photo Courtesy of Cynthia Kennedy)



Cousin Cynthia Kennedy(Photo Courtesy of Cynthia Kennedy)

(Photo Courtesy of Kimberly Evans)





Conclusion

The Brooks and Clark family were very wealthy free people of color. Jerry Brooks accumulated about 1000 acres of land. The Goins also owned some land called The Goins Farm, where they owned livestock.  I'm very proud to descend from a lineage of people who were able to survive in those days, considering the circumstances. They were respected by both black and white locals. Back then, it was also common for free people of color to be kidnapped and sold into slavery. The Brooks married into other free people of color communities, slaves, and other native indigenous communities. Some of these families migrated to Indiana, Roanoke VA, back to Robeson Co and eastern NC, Louisiana, and as far as California. Today, we come in all shades from very dark to very light.  That is the beauty of our family.  Yet, our bloodline is still a part of who we are.  Our ancestors' resilience, courage, and survival are important parts of history that should be shared with others and should not be forgotten. This is why I have so much passion for knowing my roots.  I intend on sharing our history so that the generations to come, will keep the legacy alive.



Source:

Arthur Robert Ashe Jr. / Find A Grave Memorial 1662(2000, Dec 31)


Dorcas Clark/Find A Grave Memorial. Thomas Dudley(2014, Jan 9)

Carpenter, Robert C./ Gaston County, North Carolina, In The Civil War. McFarland& Company, Inc(2016).

Estes, R(2012)

Hill, Steve Pony(2005) 

Ismael Roberts 


Lumbee Indians Library Of Congress(1965)

 McMillian, Hamilton. Sir Walter Raleigh's Lost Colony(1888)Wilson, NC Advance

The Croatan Indian. McPherson, (1890)McMillian's Letter To The Indian Of Commissioner Affairs
 Press

William Daniel Oxendine Head Stone. Oxendine,A(2014,Sep30)
 
The Wilderness Road



Acknowledgments

Arwin Smallwood.
 Ph.D. Professor And Chair of The NC Agricultural And Technical State University Department of History And Political Science  (Tuscarora)

Cynthia Kennedy(Family Historian/Cousin)

Kevin Dudley(Contributor/Cousin/Son of Thomas R. Dudley)

Jarred Chavis(Contributor/Lumbee Tribe)

Dianne Eliza McKinney(Genealogist/Cousin/Tuscarora)

Cindy Taylor(Contributor/Cousin/ Tuscarora)

The Late Thomas R. Dudley(Family Historian/Genealogist/Cousin)
This wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for his hard work and dedication to preserving our family's heritage. R.I.P














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free People Of Color, Natives And Their Many Labels

DNA vs Paper Trail